Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
normally i just guess the ingredients, so the ones provided here are rough estimates, feel free to adjust for your own taste
This will feed about 4 people and fit in an 10inch pyrex dish.
for the main dish you will need
1 X Large onion
3 X Garlic cloves (not the bulb :p)
1 X Large sweet potato or 2 small
1 X Courgette
1/2 X Large Aubergine
1 X Small Carrot
4 X Button Mushrooms
1 X Tin Tomatoes
1) roughly slice up the onion into cubes, and the same for the garlic. Roughly cube all other veg, except for the sweet potato. This should be thinly sliced about 5mm. too thick and it will be crunchy and takes a while to cook.
2) heat a medium-hot frying pan, put some olive oil in (about 2 TBSP), once hot place the onion and garlic in, keep any eye on it, once the onion begins to go yellow (not too much), then put in the sweet potato and aubergine. Keep stiring this for about 6 -7 mins. Just allows things to soften up a bit.
3) now throw in the rest of the veg, stir for a few mins and then put the tomatoes in. turn the heat down to about half heat and allow to simmer, stiring occasionally.
4) this will take about 25 mins on the hob, best thing to check is the sweet potato, should be quite soft, but adjust to your taste. I don't leave it that log as i like my veg crunchy :)
You can use packet pasta sheets if you want, but making pasta is so easy.
to make pasta you will need either a pasta rolling maching or rolling pin!
1 X Medium Egg
1 X Cup of plain flour
1) get a medium pan of water on the boil
2) find a clean part of work surface and empty cup of flour onto it and make a little well into the middle
3) now break the egg into the well.
4) nice and messy now :) mix with your hands the flour into the egg, add little bits at a time otherwise pasta may be a bit dry.
5) once it is mixed together should be a nice sticky dough, if a bit too sticky feel free to add a bit more flour.
6)flour the worksurface and roll out the dough REALLY thin (~3mm). Once rolled out cut out rectangle pasta sheet shapes, make sure that shape will fit into the pan of boiling water.
7) Your water should be boiling and nice rolling boil. place a couple of sheets into the pan. They will sink for a few seconds then rise to the top, when they come back to the top, take them out and put on a plate. they're cooked. Do this for all your sheets and leave on a plate to cool down.
WHITE SAUCE / CHEESE SAUCE
this can either be a white sauce or a cheese sauce, depending on how cheesy you like it. You could use a jar of white sauce if you want, but i don't know the quality of these.
You may also want to preheat the oven to about 180°C now
50g of butter
1 pint of milk
1) heat a pan up, and throw the butter in, and allow to melt
2) the butter will start to bubble, take it off the heat, add a couple of table spoons of plain flour, and mix together to form a thick paste, you may need a bit more flour to achieve this.
3) once you have made the paste, add a splash of milk to make it runny again, and place back on medium heat.
4) now keep stiring this, slowly adding a bit more milk, this will stop it getting lumpy and will start to thicken.
5) once all of the milk is added it should be a nice white sauce consistancy, slightly thick but not too thick. If it is too runny, feel free to add a bit of cornflour, if it too thick, then add a bit more milk.
6) you can now add some grated cheese and stir that in if you choose, remember to save some for the top.
7) take off the heat and leave to one side.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
1) the oven should be up to temperature now (180 °C)
2) get your pyrex bowl out and start to layer up the dish. going veg, pasta, white sauce.
3) on the top layer (last) make sure to add some cheese on top as well
4) place in over for about 15 mins or until the cheese is nice and golden on top
5) can be served with some garlic bread
Feel free to adjust recipe to add other veg, or swap some about